Pages

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Appendicitis

I was 12 when it all happened my sister and i and my best friend had decided to go pick some plums which were over the railway tracks in a paddock not so far from my best friends house. We had told HER daughter where we going. "We'll be back later." Been a teenager she said "Yeah yeah just go". So off down the road we went first to my friends house, then down her backyard over their fence through the long grass, and onto the railway tracks we had to walk abit down to the paddock. There were a few trees around so we climbed them to see which had the best plums on. I started to feel abit sick but i just carried on picking the plums, we had stayed there for awhile just filling up our plastic bags laughing, playing till i felt sick again and couldn't sit in the tree any longer. I couldn't even eat the plums so we decided it was time to go home.

The long trip home

Back down the tracks we went through the long grass, over the fence to my friends house we had stopped in to dropped off her bag of plums. Then finally heading back off to our house the trip home for me was torture, i had started to feel real sick the short walk home was now turning into the longest i had ever walked. It felt like the more i walked the harder it got and the furthest away home felt, i had to stop every few minutes to sit down and rest. Everything was spinning i was getting dizzy the was so hot sun i had to sit in the shade to cool down, my sister and best friend would stop with me till i felt better to carry on, but at this point i was just getting worst. The pain in my tummie kept hurting like someone was putting a hot sharp needle through my stomach and pulling the thread out very slowly, we had managed to get two houses down from our house when i dropped down i couldn't walk anymore i was in so much pain i had to stop till i finally had the strength to carry on. I could see my house so i kept telling myself you can do it, homes right there, just get up, my sister had carried on home i think they had had enough because it did take us a long time to get back.

When i finally did get home i went straight to bed and just stayed there when SHE got home SHE was yelling at me. "Well where did you get those plums from." "In a paddock just over the tracks"  " Well that's what you get from eating to much plums." Im trying to tell HER its not the plums i didn't eat the plums and not listening to me. Questioning my sister like she knew what was going on with me and assuming it had something to do with the plums so SHE threw them out.
That night was the worst night of my life i couldn't eat or drink, anything i put it would come out faster then i could put in, i couldn't sleep because of the nightmares, by this stage i had thrown up so much it was nothing but green and yellow water coming out. When morning finally did come i was worst then the day before my dad finally came in to check on me when i started crying i couldn't move, the pain now was unbearable, my dad had to carry me to the car he decided i should go see a doctor so in the car we went adn HER, the drive there was so sore every bump i would cry it was so painful, my tummie just kept hurting like Ive never felt before. When we finally got to the doctors my dad carried me in we went straight through to the doctor, he asked me a few questions "When did this start." "Yesterday." " You didn't tell anyone." "Yes i told HER but SHE said it was because of the plums."  "Plums." Looking at me puzzled.  "And you didn't think to bring her in sooner to get checked out"  HER reply: "Well these kids always telling us they feel sick when their not." Hhm  "Where does it hurt." "My tummie." "When did you last have a drink." "Um early this morning." "Did it stay down." "No i puked it back up" "Do you no what time that would have been around." "Um someone went to the toilet when i was puking up." HER reply: "That would have been around 3." "Ok I'm going to touch your tummie now tell me where is hurts." AAAARGH STOP."  he took one look at me he touched the side of my stomach.  "Yes appendicitis you will have to take her to the hospital right now"

Now because the town i lived in was a small country town the big hospital they had there was closed down so if anyone had to go to the hospital the closest one was about an hours drive away

That hour drive i cried the whole way their my dad kept tell me "You'll be ok my baby you'll be ok I'm taking you to the hospital." The doctor had called in a head so as soon as we got in i went straight in, "Is she hair." One of nurses said um then SHE butts in "No she's not." The nurse was only asking that so that if there was any hair around the side of my tummie they would shave the area before the opperation. "Ok now we are going to take you into the theatre your dad will be waiting out here for when you wake up." "Ok." I was so scared the nurses were preping me then in came the surgeon we had a little talk about what he was going to do he showed me where he was going to cut and that he was going to sew me back up again with some very cool stitches that dissovle so that i wouldn't have to come back in to have them taken out, they were all so friendly then one nurse said "Hold onto this breath in and out, now can you count to 10 for me"  "1...2.....3...................................................."
i remember waking up and feeling myself shaking then jolting the nurses were around me its ok your just waking up your coming out of it you'll be ok

the doctor had came into the the room to have a talk about the opperation with my dad, told us that if my dad have waited 3 more minutes to bring me in i would have died on the table because as soon as the surgeon had cut me open my appendic had burst that's why it told longer in theatre making sure they got everything

HER reply to that was "Well see that's what happens to you when you cry wolf aye."

I spent a week in hospital and i even had to go to school the hospital school but it was alot of fun all you did was draw pictures and paintings sing songs it was just a big play area really. My dad, sister HER and HER daughter would come visit me everyday but everytime they went home i would miss my dad so much it was so lonely but i did get to eat all the ice cream i wanted


















   

No comments:

Post a Comment